Request an in-transit permit

Available in-person only

Visit a driver and vehicle office with:

  1. Photo identification
  2. Proof of insurance
  3. Proof of ownership (if travelling outside the NWT)
  4. Bill of sale or registration
  5. Full addresses for start and end points

In-transit permits MUST be purchased at the starting point of the journey. 

An in-transit permit allows a person to drive a vehicle or trailer that does not have a valid vehicle registration and licence plate.

When driving a vehicle from one territory to another province or territory, the start or end point must be in NWT and the most direct route must be used.

In-transit permits are not valid outside of Canada.


  • In-transit permit: $18.00